Wednesday, May 14, 2014

free wonderful

Project beautification-with-zero-money is rolling along nicely. I am pretty stoked on my new spring/summer wreath, not least because it was made with these crazy weed things that grow on the hill behind our house, and also because they dry to a straw-like texture, which should prove relatively sturdy and also pretty and golden. And big, at about 2 feet in diameter!


I trash-picked an ugly, crappier-than-ikea-laminate shelf, ripped off the back, and it's currently on the porch, awaiting the day when I can replace it with a beautiful weathered wood piece. But it can still hold pretty things. Like a wonky frame that is too crooked to hold glass, but likes sticks just fine. 



And a miniature fern (Mother's Day gift from my sister), some moss (from the yard) in an extra pot, and a makeshift terrarium in a mason jar. All gathered here in the woods behind our house.


Along with other assorted twigs, barks, stones and ferns that sit in pots in the shade of the porch. This is fast becoming my happy place.


Use what you've got! A rusted out pot filled with spiky balls, or a wooden box with acorn caps and twigs are a textural feast for the eyes, as well as a nice contrast to the greenery.


All beautiful and all free! Yay!
Plus it's a fitting setting for our fairy village. But I'll save that for another post.

I'll leave you with this revelation that came to me this morning: use gardening gloves, and you won't have black fingernails! 

I know, I know. It's revolutionary.
X


No comments: