Wednesday, August 5, 2009

number nine and mr. eight months



Today is Dan and my 9th anniversary. Wow, really? I can't really believe that. Apparently, the traditional gift for the 9th is pottery. Works well for us, since we have been collecting ceramic pieces in one form or another since we got married. Dan picked a gorgeous arts and crafts style vase, which goes well with a few others that he has given me over the last several years. This was quite unexpected, and I have to say, I LOVE IT. I think it might be my favorite yet.
He also came home with these... happy happy gerber daisies! What can I say, the man knows me. I made him a playlist and wrote him a letter, detailing the reason for each song. It sounds a little cheesy, but it wasn't. Music has always figured largely in our relationship, and it was really fun to choose songs that threw us back in time to one particular moment or experience. I could have picked many more songs, but I had to draw the line somewhere... editing is a good thing, I have been told. But it was a good gift apparently; he laughed, he cried... it has been quite a while since I have seen Dan cry. A good, emotional, happy cry. I feel very blessed to be married to such a funny, talented, loving, and devoted man. The last few years have been really different, adding children to the mix, and there certainly have been some challenges. But we always manage to steal a little bit of time for ourselves. I do miss our weekly dates, but our little "state of the union" chats are as constructive as ever. They are not always easy, but we both have the same goal: to grow closer, to love each other better, to be the best husband and wife that we can be, and now, the best parents that we can be.

Speaking of parenting, the fat little guy we call Jude is 8 months old today as well. It seems he now believes himself to be a big boy, because he suddenly started standing up in his crib. Nutty kid, he only started really crawling in earnest last week! Well, there he goes, he is officially a big shot. And very proud of himself, as you can see.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

This post is so beautiful, so content. I love your writing, Emily. And Jude is just amazingly adorable!!!

Happy anniversary, too:)

Bridggymama said...

ditto jessica. happy anniversary! hey we're 9 years on the 12th! isn't life grand!

Emily said...

It's funny Bridget, our lives are somewhat paralleled in the area of marriage and kids, although you got a head start with Brucie... twins catch you up fast!