Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's no wonder we feel confused

The things that have been going on lately are just unreal. In a relatively short amount of time (the last 10 weeks or so), we have experienced a violent swing of events and emotions. There has been an engagement, 3 weddings, a tragic accidental death, a healthy birth of twins, an earth-shattering suicide, and just last night, what appears to be another attempted suicide, which Dan witnessed and helped to prevent.

What can be said about all of this? This chaos is what life is made up of, and yet, this seems like a ridiculously concentrated dose of huge events, some horrific and others beautiful. These events have also occurred disproportionately within Dan's circle of friends, family, and working relationships, especially the really difficult ones. This is wearing on him, and I feel helpless to alleviate the stress and emotional strain under which he finds himself. Honestly, I find myself blankly wondering how he is doing it, how he can even attend to the little voices of his adoring children, or the incessant calls and emails of his evening job, while also contemplating the possible loss of his day job.

The constant circle of life, death, love, and loss has never been so present, or so contradictory, and I feel that I am appreciating small moments more. I am strangely finding the time to draw and sketch more, also, and this time to find my center puts my small stresses into perspective. My heart continually returns to Psalm 40:

I waited patiently for the Lord;
And he inclined to me and heard my cry.
He brought me up out of the pit of destruction,
out of the miry clay,
And he set my feet upon a rock making my
footsteps firm.
He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise
to our God;
Many will see and fear
And will trust in the Lord


2 comments:

Nina said...

This is a great post. It is confusing and overwhelming, isn't it? I too feel a great convergence of events -- death and loss and life and hope. It seems too much, but it has had a similar impact on me -- a greater appreciation for the small things and even for my own struggles, if that makes sense.

Emily said...

It does make sense... perspective is everything sometimes!