Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mommy vs. Emily

Sooooo, there is this problem that I'm having, with my time. I've never been one to use it well. I am disorganized and easily distracted (might have something to do with all the distractions lying around unorganized). I am jumping in a little too quickly to projects... I am allowing them to consume my mind. I need to find a balance, and concentrate fully on being a mother at times, without giving up on the things that make me feel creatively challenged, and use other parts of my brain. we are trying to revamp our financial process, if you will, spend our money differently, with more awareness, and this has inspired me to move my derriere, and start up a little etsy shop, where I can possibly begin to contribute a small amount to the bank account.

Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun to make an object with no idea where it might end up. Of course, it could just stay in my laundry room and get moldy. But the possibilities are fun to consider. At any rate, I tend to get obsessed, and that's when I start to let Emily time cross over into Mommy time. The kids hate that. Unless I let them help... but needle and thread, knitting needles, and fine point ink pens are just not toddler friendly. And computers... even now they are trying to dodge my hand and hit the power button. Stinkers! But I do get it, they want Mommy, so who am I to refuse them?

I am quite excited by my simple little projects... little hats, pretty headbands, and also small drawings, starting with some alphabet prints (single letters with an old fashioned illustration). I'll post some pictures soon.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Please put up a link for your etsy shop the next time your kiddos let you online. I'd pay good money for a little bit of "Emily" around my house. :)

Emily said...

I will, jo, as soon as I start listing! I'm getting close, but the photography part is super time consuming...

Nina said...

I think balancing work and family is the hardest balance to find. I do think the longer you do it, the more used to it the kids get -- especially to the idea that mom is at home...but she's working. Your kids are too little to really embrace that concept, but someday...

My balance is more like yo-yoing back and forth. I'll be super-focused on work for days at a time and then I won't do any work for a few days. Not practical for you of course...you can probably only find little bits of time to snatch here and there. But I think it's amazing that you're trying to do this -- it's a gargantuan effort with little ones. I hope it proves to be a great outlet for you -- and adds to the bank account.

Please do post a link!

Jessica said...

an etsy shop is a fabulous idea. you make such a beautiful things. everybody who sees your painting loves it SO MUCH. and it makes me happy upon simply walking into my room and seeing it:)

thank you.
and good for you on the etsy shop.

Emily said...

your encouragement is so helpful, you dear ladies! I just hope my shop isn't too all over the place! I'll definitely post a link when it's up and running.