Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Troubled Times

I am so frustrated, I don't know what to do with myself.  Should I be taking action to be consistent and stern in disciplining my children?  should I relax and not expect too much from my two year olds?  Neither one seems like the proper course of action.  Neither one gives me peace.  I am praying for myself, for patience, for creativity, for wisdom, and I am praying for them.... "God, let them understand and behave!  Please! Please!"  I feel like knocking their heads together, and I feel like banging my head against a wall... but I don't think either one would be a good idea.  If they aren't constantly getting out of bed and running down the hall, they are biting each other in their beds, or emptying the contents of their bureau onto the floor.  What once was peaceful time in the afternoon is now a tense time of testing boundaries and heightening blood pressure.  I was way too lucky with the first 2 years of their life, but now that they are 2, I am paying for it.  The baby is improving in his behavior, and the girls are just wallowing in being contrary.  Times like these I am intensely jealous of my old life, the one where there was just me and Dan, and no one else.  I love these little people so much, but it isn't easy to keep it together day in and day out, when it seems that there is no way to exact the response that I am looking for.  I wish I knew just how much was testing, how much willful disobedience, how much misunderstanding, how much just clingy toddlers wanting to be where Mommy is.... can't someone put it into a pie chart for me and then give me directions to fix it all?  A script to follow?  A formula guaranteed to get results?  Come on, people...  oh, It doesn't work that way?  ok... back to praying...  

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Emily, I am sorry; that sounds really tough. Not being a mom, I don't have any wisdom for you--but I will be praying...

Emily said...

Thanks Jess! we still do manage to have some fun in between bedtimes!!!

Jess said...

Oh Emily, that does sound so hard! The one thing I can suggest is to just remain consistent with discipline. And, discipline doesn't always mean spanking... but I think constancy is key. We haven't put Becca in a bed yet because I don't have the strength to deal with it yet. Sigh. I love my afternoon quiet time too. But I can't ignore that she needs to be in a bed for much longer. Praying for you!

Nina said...

Emily, so glad to see you blogging again!! And congratulations on Jude. What a handsome little fellow!

Here's the thing...you're in the hardest time of parenting. At least, that's what I think. It's frustrating, exhausting, and your efforts at discipline seem to yield no results. I felt just like you -- like I was ping-ponging back and forth between disciplining for everything and not disciplining enough. Hang in there! Every effort at consistent discipline, good boundaries, and all your love and prayers are great investments in your kids. Sometimes it just takes a few years to really see the results.