Monday, April 27, 2009

of cabbages and kings...

It has been difficult to blog lately.  Not only am I challenged in the area of time, but now I have to do it standing up! And that's not really my favorite thing, not when I have 3 kids asleep and should be sleeping myself.  Pecking away at the keyboard from bed, well, ok, I'll spend a little time on the computer.  But standing up?  Blech.  And that is honestly the entire reason why I haven't posted in so long.  The airport burned out or something (that's a technical term), and so I have to plug in directly to the ethernet cable.  Putting  a crib in the bedroom pretty much blasted our plans for a desk / computer area, so I am typing at the bureau, which is decent standing height, at least.  

This is how Rowan wakes up in the morning. I can only surmise that she does a lot of head turning, or some vigorous thrashing.  I call it her sleepy snarl.  She wakes up from her nap like that, too.  It's really quite wild.  And I love it.  It reminds me of me, I guess, as a little squirt.






This is how Genevieve emerges from sleep.  Pretty much perfect. This has earned her the nickname of Hollywood Hair, to which she replies, "Name Geneveive. Noelle. Costa."  Pretty much all of their sentences come out like this, as if each word were a statement in itself.  I quite enjoy it.  She loves her name, which makes me happy.  I hope that she always does. Rowan has a bit of a harder time pronouncing Elizabeth. Generally it comes out, "Iiiiiiiiiiffff".  She'll get there.  

I have been blessed with really cuddly children.  It works for me, because I am a cuddly person, and never get tired if little arms around my neck, impromptu kisses, and sleepy heads on my shoulder.  Except when it is 90 degrees out. Thank God for air conditioning.  Really.  Yesterday was kinda rough.  Much better today, with the big noisy window unit pumping full blast.  It's annoying, but so worth it.  Jude is the coddliest of them all, I think.  I just lulled him to sleep.  He really fights it sometimes.  I laid him in his crib and he started wailing with desperation the second I began to lower him down.  Stinker.  So I let him be for a bit, reinstalled the pacifier a few times, sang a little song.  His eyes are so heavy, but he still keeps throwing up both legs and banging them down, clutching at his face.  It's not always like this, maybe he was overtired.  But what finally got him to relax, was me holding both his hands up by his head in his favorite sleep position, and then bending down and squashing my face into his neck.  It took about 20 seconds.  He really likes being smothered with cuddles. 

Oh, that little nerd!  he is awake already!   Ok, time to eat something before I am in demand again.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love the pictures of the hair. How cute. I'm always happy to see a new post by you, no matter how occasional it is.

Jessica said...

I love this post. You have a way of making your readers feel right there with you (but not in a stalker kind of way!).