Thursday, January 28, 2010

midget news

The baby boy we call Jude is finally becoming a bit more independent with the walking; he will now walk across the room... this is a relief to me, because, although I have been told that 14 months is the average for walking, it just feels late to me. Mostly because since about 6 months, the doc kept telling me how he was definitely gonna walk early, so I started waiting for it. But poor child, he is tall for his age, and chubby, and he has rather diminutive feet... so he had his work cut out for him. He's like the Hippo ballerina on Fantasia, and if that sweet lady didn't have animators making her dance, I'll bet she would have had a hard time making a go of it, even on 4 feet!

The girls are saying the most hysterical and insightful things. Rowan told me that Mary was going to give me another baby in my belly (no, no, nuh-uh). Apparently she is catholic. She then proceeded to explain, "Jesus' mommy was Mary, and God is his Daddy". Well, I guess if you are three, it would make sense that Mary would have a hand in all things baby-related. I in know way mean to say that catholicism is silly or juvenile, just that I understand how my child drew her conclusions.
Also, less sacred, more profane... As I changed Jude's first diaper of the morning, I mumbled, to myself, "Boy, your butt smells like fried chicken." Genevieve promptly added, "Mommy, my butt smells like french fries!" She was very proud. We all are, actually. This age is difficult, as the twins wish to challenge every rule, but it is great fun, too, because their comprehension is really improving, and they are incredibly enjoyable to talk with and listen to. They don't quite understand why their wants can't dictate their behavior, and we are working to instill in them a sense of self-control. This is not always successful, but I do see from time to time, that they are starting to get it. I guess many of us could still stand to learn this lesson.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes, I am pretty sure that's a lifelong lesson.

And way to go, Jude, getting around on those diminutive feet of his!!!

Nina said...

This made me laugh out loud, picturing Jude's chubby legs and diminutive feet...Thank you.

And as for Mary giving you another baby in your belly...that is great...you've given birth to a Catholic!