Saturday, January 30, 2010

the magic of ordinary days

So, yeah, there happens to be a Hallmark movie playing at this moment by that name, but I like it, it describes accurately what life can be. Not always, but sometimes. There are moments. Like the moment I captured earlier today, of my two little nymphs, sitting on their brand new toy shelf, watching the snow come down.

My Dad brought this wonderful shelf that he made for the girls' room today, and we promptly filled it up with books and toys, and I am left wondering what on earth we did with all of this stuff before?! I think that after two difficult pregnancies, in somewhat quick succession, I am finally nesting. Ridiculous, I know, but I think I was too sick to feel that nesting instinct that pregnant women are supposed to feel at the tail end of their pregnancy. I kept waiting, hoping for a burst of energy, a little motivation, but it never came. Now that Jude is over one year old, I am finally feeling like I understand how to juggle 3 babes and cooking, laundry, and housework. This actually excites me, and I have been accomplishing small tasks this week that have been on my to do list for a year and a half.

Anyway, all this to say that when I knew that the shelf was coming, I fantasized about which toys would go where, how we could get most of the kid's toys and books into their room and out of the living room. So in about 15 minutes flat, I had that thing filled up, and arranged to my liking.
Yes, I am BORING. My heart is delighted by small feats of organization. And butterfly wings. It's been a good day. A good week.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

nothing boring about that amazing shelf--a labor of love from your dad. I'd call that downright special.

Ashlie Skidmore said...

beautiful :)

Nina said...

That's a great shelf! And really, if we can't feel the magic in ordinary days, what do we have? The ordinary can be just breathtaking...

And I agree...sometimes you just need to get something accomplished to feel a little better.

Lady Leth said...

Those pictures of the girls are stunning!!!

Ilikesunchips said...

Jo Garrett passed your blog address onto me. I've read through several of your blogs and I can relate a lot of things you've said. It's very encouraging. When I find a new way to organize something that works nice it might as well be Christmas morning. Very exciting.

Emily said...

Mary - we've met once, I think... it's good to hear from you!

Thanks for the comments, all of you lovely ladies!

merry said...

I really love the pictures too.So cute with the wings.