Wednesday, January 15, 2014

I've got pastel on my face.

Well. I'm not even going to get into it.  I got derailed in October, and just never got back on track.  Ah, we'll, I'm actually pretty happy about the past year's worth of posts.  I really got back to basics, knocked out a ton of work, and filled my soul.  And yet, I forgot how happy I am when I smear colors around on a surface.  How do I forget?  Whatever.  Now I've remembered.  I needed a subject, because my brain is tired, so I used my niece, Anna.  She's easy on the eyes.  I was thinking about her while scratching away, and guys, she's so great.    She was born my senior year of high school, and she is now a senior in high school.  What.  WHAT.  Yup.  I'm old.  I was thinking about my life 18 years ago.  Often, I don't feel so much older than that, I feel like I still have plans for when I grow up... 

...life is playing a joke on me, and how is it that I have been married for almost 14 years, and where did these kids come from?  But at the same time, I know that there is a vast difference between that girl and this one.  And this one is happy with the direction we are headed. Obviously, I'm making up for lost time, jumbling a few months worth of rumination into a post.  I'm sorry for that, truly.  But life is good, grey hairs and all, and Anna.  back to my subject.  This girl is a bundle of wonderful.  Talent, sweetness, beauty, and love.    She's got her head on straighter than I ever did at that age.  

30 min. Pastel on bristol.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Your work is so beautiful, Emily.

And there are people who are in their nineties. You are not old:)

Unknown said...

Beautiful! And I've been thinking the same things...of course. I honestly feel like I'm 21 or 22. And now that I left behind my career, I'm sort of waiting to grow up again! But that's the beauty of life, never too old to start something new!

Emily said...

Thanks girls! I'm still a girl, of course. Along with being a woman. In my mind, one doesn't preclude the other. I definitely feel that a whole new segment of life is about to open up, in the best way.