Thursday, February 28, 2008

boring you with motherly ramblings

my babies on a sunny day, with their new obsession, chapstick.  Genevieve's didn't make the frame, but she's got one... Rowan is a little more obvious about how much she likes it.


Today I danced with my girls until my arms gave out. There's something about classic jazz/blues that gets them all lovey-dovey... I put on some Billie Holliday, and instantly their arms go up to be danced.  So I scooped them both up. Genevieve immediately put her head down on my shoulder with a faraway look in her eyes, and Rowan wrapped her little arm around my neck and alternated between kissing her sister and me, very solemnly.  We made it through about 2 and 1/2 songs before I had to sit down.  Slow dancing 50 lbs of super-relaxed baby is work!

It was a banner day for hugs and kisses and general cuddles.  My usually non-stop 16 month olds actually sat on my lap and relaxed this morning for about 15 minutes straight (that's a lot)!  Maybe it was the chilly room, but I was loving it.  If I tried to relax my hold, a small baby hand would grab mine and pull it back, tightly round her warm little belly.  Oh, sweetness.

In other news, they are starting to really push their boundaries, testing me and Dan, seeing what they can get away with.  It must be because they are such geniuses!  No, really, the smarts on these kiddoes - Rowan is a bit more verbal, trying to repeat everything (her latest attempt is 'stinky' - she can't quite figure it out, it comes out more like sssssssst...kee!).  Genevieve is more mechanical, trying to figure out how things work - lids on jars, her zipper, moving the furniture around.  Total prodigies, honestly!  Not that they are ahead of any other babies I know... the important thing is that I feel this way about them, not necessarily that it's true!  It's just a great feeling to be so enamored of them, and to get to be the one they call Mama.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I too think that Haven is a genius. A few months ago he picked up something from the floor and when I held out my hand, he gave it to me. I freaked out - how did he know to do this?! Somebody told me it's normal. But I'm convinced he's got major skills. Haven is just starting to hug - I LOVE it. You can't bore me with motherly ramblings!

Lady Leth said...

That is so sweet! It has to be the most amazing thing. I am so glad that you get to spend so much time with them, and enjoy every minute of it! It sounds magical.

merry said...

I seriously laughed out loud when I read the part about the dancing and the solemn kisses. I think that is hilarious.

Lady Leth said...

This is God speaking to you Emily, it is NOT, I repeat, NOT Elizabeth....
"Sell things on Etsy...Sell things on Etsy."