Sunday, July 5, 2009

Hmmm

Jude is trying so hard to crawl, moving from hands and knees to plank position, back to knees. Now and again I see a quick downward facing dog. He is so strong! And big - he weighed at 6 months what the girls weighed at 1 year. The girls have been so funny lately, saying the most hilarious things, and new words every day. Last night I put them all three in the bath for the first time. Jude was hysterical, screwing up his face into the most determined expression, and pounding away at the water as if it were his job. He would pause every so often to rub his wet eyes, and then get right back to it. Never cracked a smile once. After I pulled him out and wrapped him up in a towel, I just sat on the edge of the tub with him, while the girls continues their bath. Geneveieve looked up fondly at Jude, "Mommy, Jude's all wrapped up". yup, he is... and Rowan said "Aw, Jude's in a wrapper, like a little cheese stick!" I couldn't stop laughing.

On the other end of the spectrum, these girls are pushing me hard, disobeying constantly, refusing to go to sleep at night, getting completely naked, peeing in their beds. And they have had a nasty summer cold for over 2 weeks now. I think I will have to load them all up and take them to the doctor tomorrow. That ought to be fun. And my mood is just all over the place. I had a couple of weeks there, when I just felt really blessed with peace, but now I am just beyond a roller-coaster. I love these kids so much, but we are having a blast one minute, and then trying to deal with blatant defiance the next. I get so irritated by lack of logic in people... that makes it hard when dealing with small toddlers, huh? I just want them to understand, and be able to let me know that they understand, so I don't have to obsess over whether or not I am getting through to them.

I am so thankful for a supportive husband, who sees what I am dealing with, offers suggestions and prayer on-the-spot, but doesn't criticize or judge me. Also, he makes me laugh about it, and that is the best thing for me. It changes my perspective, changes my mood, and brings me back to myself. But honestly, I am just so tired, and sick of people who make it look easy. And jealous of people who get vacations, with or without children. Sorry if this post is a bit whiny... I'm trying to break the girls of it, but perhaps I need to lead by example.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

You aren't whining, just telling it like it is, as the mood strikes you. Nothing wrong with it. You have your hands full--and you are an amazing momma...But it's true, everyone does need a vacation...I hope a little something along that line comes your way really really soon...

Jen said...

The bath story is so sweet. Moments like that really help.

I could barely control Haven at Maiya's dr appointment yesterday. It was a great display of parenting skills right in front of the pediatrician (note the sarcasm). I can only imagine what it would be like to bring 3.

These years are intense, I'm with you. I hear what you're saying, loud and clear. And if you listen hard enough, you'll probably be able to hear me whining as well.