Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Love Song to my Midgets


We have walked to the playground. The girls run to play while I sit on the grass with Jude. He screeches, making his voice as hoarse as possible, ending in a faker's cough. How cute can a terrible, grating noise be? Cute enough! People are this kid's favorite toy, and I talk into his belly, making him laugh. He grabs my head on both sides, trying to munch my face. He is so close that I can't focus on him; his grey eyes are a blur of baby concentration. Behind his head is a startling blue sky with impossible fluffy clouds, and sycamore branches, leaves emerald in the sun. Singsong toddler voices converse nearby in the sandbox. I sing to him as best I can, the song I sang to him and to his sisters, while they grew like happy little aliens in my belly. An Irish lullaby - he pulls back to listen, always game for a song:

In this heart lies for you
A lark born only for you
Who sings only to you
My love, my love, my love

A love song more than a lullaby, I guess, but one that I reserve for my babies. Dan and I have many love songs, but this one is between Mommy and Little Ones. Such a smile I receive for my efforts!

Exhausted, we all fall asleep after the short walk home. After nap-time, we all wake up together, as if someone has pushed the wake up button. Jude is overjoyed to see Genevieve and Rowan, who in turn, are enthralled by his gummy smiles and bouncy attention. They coo over him, fawning. I love this interaction. Refreshed by their sleep, they get along with the renewed energy and enjoyment that a brief separation and a good rest can bring.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I love the picture you painted here. And beautiful song--did you write it? Or is it a known song that you just love?

Emily said...

no, I can't claim any such thing - it is a Sinead O'Connor song. Very beautiful, a cappella and in 5 part harmony, one voice added to each verse, and starting with her alone.

Nina said...

I agree with Jessica. You painted a vivid picture of a wonderful day. So glad you can enjoy such shining days and really drink them in.