Monday, July 20, 2009

where my heart is happy

So, for something to do with the girls, I bought a box of pasta with which to string necklaces. But it looked so boring, and I didn't really like the idea of painting individual ziti... so I thought I would try food coloring. It actually worked better than expected. Also unexpected was how enamored I became with the little glasses filled with food coloring and noodles!
I felt compelled to take their picture. It was like a candy shop, an array of flavors, mouth-watering colors, displayed in simple glass containers. I love things like this - the simplicity, the contrasts, the textures, are all like medicine for my tired mind.

The girls were fascinated, too, and I think they will have fun when they are all dry, making necklaces with yarn. But sometimes, I feel like I am doing it more for me than for them! I guess if I can find a project, no matter how simple, that can feed the artist in my soul, while still letting my kids make something that requires a little brain work and a bit of manual dexterity, then we all win.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

At first glance I thought that you had gone to a bar and had yourself a smashing good time...But really, I love the way those look, too--what a great idea!!!