Monday, May 3, 2010

confessions...

And this has nothing at all to do with telling my girlfriend that a girl who is not my girlfriend is in the family way, and it's all my fault...

It has more to do with the fact that my kids have never been to the beach. Or even to a real pool. Now I don't feel exactly guilty about this, ok, I sorta do. It's just that a day trip to the beach with two infants, or two toddlers and a giant sick pregnant belly, or three toddlers... it just sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth. And Dan's #2 job requires that we be around for much of the summer, and Dan hates the beach, so a little vacay for him is not going to be beachy, most likely. But I would like for them to see the ocean. It's wrapped up in my childhood, although, I never actually went there with my own family. I guess there's still plenty of time... I just don't want them to be afraid of it.

And the pool, thing, well, that's just the way things have worked out. We don't have a pool, belong to a pool, or have any friends that have a pool, at least that I am aware of. But a pool? Now there's something Dan loves, and we need to at least get ourselves to a pool this summer.

So, I suppose it's just all this hotness and humidity over the weekend that has me panicking about my children's exposure to large bodies of water. I guess it isn't really ruing their childhood or anything; there are plenty of landlocked places where kids grow up never actually having seen the ocean. I have, I admit, pitied those children in the past, but now I will tell myself that they still have quality childhood memories, and most likely swam in lakes (no, my kids have never been to a lake, either!).

In other news, all this warmness has put us into the time where little 3 year old girls wear sun-dresses, and I really can't stand it because their shoulder blades are so cute!!! Although, I really also enjoy jeans and a cardigan with a sun-dress, at least on a very small girl... so I miss the cool spring like crazy already. I really don't do very well in the damp heat. I feel very claustrophobic, and gross, and I love air conditioning so much... but at the beach, none of that matters!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Okay, I have to admit that the first confessional sentence is somewhat intriguing...

And the beach. I LOVE the beach--I have many wonderful memories of the beach and my family recreates them--as well as creates new ones!--every summer. But I am sure there are many other lovely places to take your kiddos too; basically, wherever you guys are together and having fun will be a great memory, no matter what the background, I think:)

Emily said...

Oh, the first sentence was Usher... I always title these posts, and inevitably a song comes to mind. I'm sure it confused a number of people.

And I agree about the memories... we're working on it!