Monday, July 15, 2013

books and a tree

 I don't read healthfully. I devour books, live and breathe them, and grieve their loss when I am finished.  It is hard for me to function in real life when I care about the well-being of a character.  It is ridiculous.  I love to read, but my addictive personality can't seem to pay attention to both book-world and reality. 

I really hate the feeling of knowing that I need to do something, like make dinner, or put the kids in the bath, but there are two more pages in the chapter.... and just five more minutes won't hurt, right?  

I begin to begrudge my real life the attention it needs... "So much of what I see reminds me of something I've seen in a book, when, shouldn't it be the other way around?"

So I am trying to set myself realistic goals, and reward myself with a chapter. Clean until lunch time, then sit down for some book time.  It's working pretty well this week. We're always seeking balance, aren't we? Or not seeking it, and suffering the consequences. I don't think the achievement of balance is even possible, but in seeking it, and being aware, we get healthier. And it gets easier. A little.

Little leaf linden.  Pastel on Bristol.

No comments: