Tuesday, May 28, 2013

ego boost

Jude: mommy, why are we taking the wiggly road way home?

Me: because this way we get to see all of the trees and farms, and fields and horses, and the reservoir, and it's pretty.

Jude: the trees are not not pretty to me...

Me: is there something else that's pretty to you?

Jude: yes. You.

Me: thanks, Jude, you're so nice.

Jude: you're nice, and pretty, and kind, and snuggly, and kissy, and tickly!

I'll take it. I'm all those things. I get that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But I think that our own eyes, my own eyes at least, don't see truly when looking self-ward. And I don't think there's anything wrong with seeing yourself through the eyes of love. What could be more true, more real, more important? Or more healthy?

So do me a favor, the next time you're feeling down on yourself, or insecure. Take a look at yourself through the eyes of someone who really loves you. There's reality there. Not in the mirror. It's backwards, you know...

Aquarelle pencils on matboard.

No comments: