Friday, April 26, 2013

family project

The morning was rough for us, I was not enjoying my kids' lack of enthusiasm for daily tasks. I decided that once I dropped the girls at Kindergarten, I would not go back and perpetuate the unpleasant pattern. So Jude and I had a date. It started with a woodsy ramble, there was gelato and chai in the middle, and it ended with a playground. Then we scooped up the girls, and went home.

We continued to ignore the indoors and started a project out on the porch. We planned a family game night for this evening, and I had it in my head to play parcheesi. But we don't have a board, so I figured we could make one. We found a perfectly sized piece of plywood in the basement and plunged right in. Sanding, gesso, some fairly quick research and lines drawn, then the paint!

Admittedly, I didn't think the color scheme through... Teal, purple, coral, and pale yellow. Yeah. I handed each kid a cup of one color and a brush, told them to do their best to stay in the lines, and before we knew it, we were done! Kind of.
After it dried, I sanded a bit, brushed a bit of glaze to tone it down, and drew the lines again... The first run of parcheesi went so-so. We will definitely do it again.
Cause we've got this big honking board now...











No comments: