Thursday, April 18, 2013

making my peace

I need to accept what I can't change. Right? And have the courage to change what I can. I need to go to an AA meeting, apparently. Actually the serenity prayer was on the wall of my home growing up, and never realized that it was used as the AA motto. Anyway, it has a lot of wisdom packed in there.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change those things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Or something like.

I'm working on making peace. I'm unsure of the reason why, when I hear one of my kids cough, I am filled with a cold fear. I have never had to bring a kid to the ER because of an asthma attack. I have always been helped by our pediatrician, and put a prescribed plan into action. I just want so badly for my kids to not get sick. Ever. At least, let a normal cold stay a normal cold and not last for ever. But that's not going to happen. I need to make peace with that. They may outgrow their asthma completely. Or not. Or one may, and the other may not. I need to make peace with that. I also need to do what I can to improve their chances of staying healthy, and recovering quickly. Better air quality, whole foods, omega 3's, less dairy (oh how my heart breaks at the thought of none at all!). Vitamins. Local raw honey.

Action, and peace. Serenity. What a beautiful word.

No comments: