Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I'm now a fix-it lady. Booyah.

That's an electric pencil sharpener. The kids got it for Christmas from their Grammy, and they adore it. I don't think it's meant for colored pencils, but they've been having a heyday with it, until it stopped working. This is our fault, I mean we have been sharpening to blissful points an entire arsenal of waxy crayola pencils. I could tell it wasn't the motor, so I opened it up and cleaned according to the directions, but I could barely make out what looked like some shavings blocking the farthest area of the sharpening slot, out of my reach. I was determined, so I unscrewed the whole thing, and yanked it open. A little motor, the sharpening unit, and a couple of seriously oil-slathered cogs and bits went flying in various directions. Oh crap. I forgot there would be parts inside. I'm not 3-dimensionally inclined. Somehow, after some trial and error, I got the pieces back together in the right spots, removed the clog, clicked the two halves of the case together and plugged it in. Oh what joy to hear that familiar zippy motor when I poked in another crayola! I may have to do it again tomorrow, but I'm pleased with myself.

No comments: