Tuesday, January 29, 2013

little struggles

My daily struggle is with the amount of repetition. Tell the child to get dressed. Again. Again. Set a timer, explain what is expected, explain what the consequence will be if task is not completed. Give a half-time-gone warning. Calmly administer consequence. Go over with child to make sure the child understands. Tell the child to brush teeth. Again. Again. Set a timer, oh, you get it. Why doesn't the kid get it? I have no idea, but I know that me pitching a fit isn't going to help a child learn about acting appropriately. Oh, but it might relieve the pent up lava that is churning hotly in my chest...

They will get it, it's just that they need more patience from me, more consistency, more properly modeled behavior. There are so many mistakes that I make over and over again, and I'm sure that someone is shaking His head, and wondering when it will finally click for me.
Extending grace, and loving me anyway.

Extend a little grace to me tonight, I just wasn't feeling life drawing. But when I just draw from my imagination, it's definitely weak. I need to find a way to bring the two together better.



No comments: